The Big Middle
Driving culture change, teaching employers how to be 'menopause-friendly'
These days, we openly talk about virtually everything. So why oh why are some shtum when it comes to menopause? Too many barely whisper the word when it’s a life transition that can be debilitating for so many women, especially at work.
Deborah Garlick is the founder of Henpicked, a community driving culture change around menopause in the UK and beyond. In workshops and at conferences, Henpicked is showing employers how to become ‘menopause-friendly’ to the enormous benefit of their employees' mental health and their corporate wealth.
- Many men keen to learn how to support women through the menopause transition
- Roots of Henpicked and how menopause in the workplace mission developed
- Resistance to opening up about menopause at work from some women?
- Demographic reality of menopausal women living longer and needing/wanting to work into their 60s and 70s
- One in four women is “completely lambasted” by menopause and feel their only option is to quit working
- Deborah’s workshops help women understand the litany of symptoms they may not have known are linked to menopause
- Employers quick to see benefits of becoming ‘menopause-friendly’, retaining and hiring menopausal women
- Henpicked is working with (as yet unnamed) UK employer poised to promote itself as ‘menopause-friendly’ in job adverts - an exciting first in UK and perhaps anywhere
- UK employers blazing a trail on menopause best practice?
- What next for Henpicked?
####Follow The Big Middle